Saturday, February 17, 2018

Come Listen to a Prophet's Voice - and Hear the Word of God

It's been just over a month since President Russell M. Nelson was set apart as the 17th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Hopefully most of you were able to watch his first message to Church members on January 16th, and then the press conference just after that. They were awesome!!

Before that day, I had still been feeling sad about the loss of President Thomas S. Monson and his incredible example. He is the prophet I can remember for most of my life. His life and legacy had a huge effect on me and so many others.

Last spring, I was deep in the New Testament, trying to finish it before the end of the school year to fulfill my seminary credits. I still read the Book of Mormon sometimes, maybe once or twice a week, but I figured that between my seminary reading and family scripture study, I was getting plenty of the scriptures in my life already. I didn't have time to be reading the Book of Mormon, too!

But I had been wondering for awhile if I needed to start reading the Book of Mormon more often. Then President Monson gave his talk. I resolved right then and there that I would read it every day. And I saw the blessings he promised appearing in my life!

After that experience, I determined to always follow the prophet - no matter who he is - because I know he does speak for God. As I listened to our new prophet speak to us on January 16th, I was filled with excitement for this new chapter in the Church's history. I felt the Spirit testifying that President Russell M. Nelson is the prophet that Heavenly Father has chosen and prepared for this time. His life story and experiences are markedly different from President Monson's, but both of their paths were directed by the Lord, and both were willing to serve the Lord where and when they were needed most.

So while I will miss President Monson, I know that President Nelson is the one the Lord has chosen as His prophet today, and his words will be the ones that Heavenly Father wants me to hear and obey. I am so grateful that the Lord cares about His children enough to send the gospel of Jesus Christ and to have a living prophet on the earth to whom we can turn for guidance and truth!

How have you gained assurance that the Lord calls His prophets and speaks through them? When have you seen God's blessings from following the prophet?

No comments:

Post a Comment