Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Spirit of Christmas

I have been unusually grumpy this Christmas season!

Yes, a strange sentence to begin a Christmas blog post with! But it's important!! Thursday especially I was just in a sour mood for no identifiable reason (a teenager thing, I guess!). Anyway, that evening my mom was running an errand and I begged her to let me tag along to get my Christmas shopping done (since I only had four days to get it all done! Procrastination is a bad habit of mine...).

My brother and I wandered the aisles of Walmart, searching for gifts for family and friends. We laughed and consulted with each other about what would be the best thing for ______? Who would enjoy _____? We came home and shooed our little sisters upstairs, frantically wrapping, labeling, and placing presents under the tree. Then we ventured online to buy the rest of our gift lists.

By the time I had everyone taken care of, I was smiling and cheerful - feeling happier than I had in a week!! I realized it was because I was giving, thinking of others more than myself. "It's the Christmas spirit," I thought. "It's a real thing!!!"

But then I remembered this quote from President Monson:

"Giving, not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. We feel more kindly one to another. We reach out in love to help those less fortunate. Our hearts are softened. . .To catch the real meaning of the spirit of Christmas, we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the Spirit of Christ." (2013 First Presidency Christmas Devotional)
That makes complete sense to me. Remember Moroni 7:12-12, "Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God. . .But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God." The Christmas spirit seems to fit that bill! It "inviteth and enticeth to do good", and it inspires us to focus on the Savior! Yes, I think a more fitting name is "the Spirit of Christ"!
Merry Christmas!!!

When have you recognized the influence of the Spirit of Christ in your life? 
------------------------
If you're looking for a way to feel the Spirit of Christ this Christmas, check out some of the experiences in Good Works - it's all about becoming more selfless and giving of yourself to others. I especially love #3 - coming up with your own ideas for service and then doing them!!


No comments:

Post a Comment