Saturday, August 22, 2015

Deleting Emails...

My awesome, hilarious cousin is visiting me here in the 'deep South' from Utah for almost two weeks! We are having so much fun and laughing lots. 

What does she have to do with deleting emails? Well, she was checking her emails the other day, reading messages from people she knows. After she finished either reading or writing an email, most of the time I watched as she clicked the 'Delete' button without hesitation. 


I was horrified. What if she wanted to go back and read the exchanges she'd had with her friends as a teenager? What if she was in an emergency and had to search up that one email in which she'd typed only 'Yes' or 'Lol!' but she had deleted it? What if, what if, what if?


Obviously, those are totally irrational thoughts. You guys are probably scoffing or laughing (or both!) and thinking I'm exaggerating. Nope. Seriously. 


And even more astonishing, I have probably deleted only 10 emails in the entire 5 or 6 years I have had an email address. True. 


I mentioned this last bit to my cousin, and my mom happened to overhear. She informed me that every time I keep an email, more of the computer's memory gets used up.


Oops. 


Well then. I decided I should probably start deleting emails. So, just before I wrote this, I was on my emails, deleting like crazy. Of course, I checked to make sure that I REALLY wouldn't need the email later on, but I definitely deleted it. 


So I went through, deleting most emails, but some went into other folders, etc. It felt (and still does feel!) good!!!


Seriously though. What does this have to do with anything?? Why do you care if I am deleting emails? You don't. So I'll get to the point of this post.


Repentance. Yes, I know I have written lots about repentance. Why? Because it is so 

important! 

When we repent, it's like deleting useless emails. It feels good. And when you haven't repented or deleted emails for a while, and you're scooping all this muck out of your soul (or inbox), it feels really good


But the best feeling of all is when you delete the emails as you go so they don't build up and you don't have to spend hours and hours and hours deleting emails. It's like repenting immediately. Then your shoulders aren't always weighed down with the burden of sin. Or the thought of all of those EMAILS that you are never gonna read again! 


And then there is the 'putting into folders' part. That is compared to when you have committed a serious sin, but you have talked to your bishop, you know that you're forgiven. However, the memory of that sin will never go away, unlike some of the little sins, or stupid emails. These sins are like the emails that you don't want to delete, but you don't want them in your main inbox either. So you put them in a folder. It's not that they're totally gone, but they aren't in the way anymore. 


I hope you have enjoyed my quick analogy! Please leave me a comment or two!



2 comments:

  1. Good analogy! And I understand completely the strange need to hold on to emails...why do we get so attached to those? :) Have fun with Emma!

    ReplyDelete