Friday, February 17, 2017

The Parable of the Truck Driver

My seminary teacher has shared a great story with us on several occasions. Since it teaches such an important concept, I decided to share it with you.

A company was hiring truck drivers to carry loads of huge logs up and down a dangerous, winding mountain road. The drivers would need to be very cautious and precise so that they would not fall off the edge of the road.

Three men applied for a position. The first one told the interviewer, "I'm such a skilled driver that I can drive just one foot away from the edge of the road and not fall off." The interviewer thought this sounded all right, but called in the second applicant.

The second man said, "I'm such a precise driver, I can drive within six inches from the edge and be totally fine!" The interviewer shrugged, thinking Six inches...wow...and called in the third and final applicant.

The third man said simply, "I will stay as far away from the edge of the road as I possibly can."

Guess who got hired?

We need to stay as far from the edge as we possibly can! Especially among youth, a popular question is, "How close can I get to the line without actually sinning?" The problem with that is that it is MUCH easier to cross that line when you're close to it. If you're far, far away, and intend to stay there, then it is much easier to stay there!

My family enjoys this Youth Mormon Message that emphasizes this point with another analogy:


2 comments:

  1. My dad often told that story to us growing up. It kept me out of a lot of trouble! Good counsel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your post, and you explain each and every point very well. Thanks for sharing such information. Hiring Full Time AZ Truck Drivers in Woodstock

    ReplyDelete