Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Gift of the Atonement

Well, I didn't write anything during the month of May. Oops! But there is a little something I can post now that isn't about my slacker-ness!

For Mother's Day, my mom received this book. It's called "Gethsemane, Jesus Loves Me", based on the lyrics of the song "Gethsemane" by Roger & Melanie Hoffman. (Look up the song on YouTube--it's really pretty and usually has some nice pictures while the music is playing.)

Anyway, the book had sheet music in the back, and since my piano lessons have been put on hold for a few weeks, I decided to learn it. It wasn't too difficult, and as I learned the music I was able to pay attention to the lyrics:

Jesus climbed the hill
To the garden still
His steps were heavy and slow
Love and a prayer
Took Him there
To the place only He could go

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane

He felt all that was sad, wicked or bad
All the pain we would ever know
While His friends were asleep
He fought to keep
His promise made long ago

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane

The hardest thing that ever was done
The greatest pain that ever was known
The biggest battle that ever was won
This was done by Jesus
The fight was won by Jesus

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He gave His gift to me
In Gethsemane

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He gives His gift to me
From Gethsemane


This was a sweet reminder to me that everything--sins, mistakes, problems--can be fixed or helped or cleansed by Jesus. Throughout the week I was able to notice things that the Atonement could and would cover--everyday normal problems that seem insignificant. Algebra, chores, helping a sibling, anything. The Atonement is really a miracle and such a gift!!!

I would love to hear how the Atonement has helped you in little ways! Use the comment section beneath the post or the Contact Me form on the sidebar and share!

2 comments:

  1. The atonement helps me know I can be a little better every day! One of my favorite quotes from Pres. Uchtdorf, which I see on my wall every day: "Our destiny is not determined by the number of times we stumble but by the number of times we rise up, dust ourselves off, and move forward."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think I'm going to put that on my window! ;) What a neat quote!

      Delete